After my meeting with the pulmonologist I went back into Kristi’s room to discuss everything with her. I decided not to tell her the “life threatening situation’ because I did not want to put fear in her mind or heart.

She looked perfect to me and I truly believed that the doctor was telling me the worse case scenario. Isn’t that what doctors sometimes do? She understood the procedure and was ok with it. She has always liked naps and the thought of a 3 day nap was pretty exciting to her!

In all seriousness, we were told that she would wake up in 3 days but still have the tubes in her mouth and throat and not be able to talk. They asked us to make a picture board of commonly used words and phrases to help Kristi communicate when she woke up. We discussed what we would want to talk about and drew pictures of various items relating mostly to the kids and her health.

To this day Kristi does not remember this conversation or anything after the c-section for that matter. When the anesthesiologist came in I was asked to leave. Little did I know this could have been my last words to my beautiful wife. We said our goodbyes which we thought were for three days.

I was sent to the waiting room outside of the ICU and started making nervous phone calls to our families. Kristi’s mom had just entered the hospital when I called so she joined me in the waiting room within minutes. My parents and Kristi’s dad left work and headed to the hospital. Kristi’s mom and I anxiously awaited news that she was sedated and intubated but that news never came. I was so thankful that she was with me.

After about 15 minutes there was a frantic call over the loudspeaker, CODE BLUE – ICU. Then another call, CARDIOLOGY TO ICU – STAT. Then another, PULMONOLOGY TO ICU – STAT. At that point we were freaking out.

I then saw the anesthesiologist in the hallway that was caring for Kristi. I saw him walk out of the ICU thinking he was coming to talk to me. He refused to look into the waiting room and make eye contact with me. I knew in my heart at that moment that it was Kristi that was the reason for the code blue announcements filling the loudspeakers of the hospital. His look left me shocked because his avoidance made me believe that Kristi was dead. My Mom and Mother-In-Law were praying as I just stood there blankly.

How could this be happening? I was just with my wife who despite feeling sick, was so happy and excited to meet our girls and see Camryn and Brynlee. It is amazing how life can change in an instant and how we would be entering the biggest storm of our lives.



  1. Aunt Gail on October 6, 2016 at 7:21 pm

    I remember this day well…it was the most frightening day I’ve experienced…even as an ER nurse! My heart ached for everyone…

  2. Mom on October 6, 2016 at 7:37 pm

    Dave and Kristi,
    I cry as I read this. I have a hard time going back to that horrible day. I couldn’t believe what was happening! Then, they kept saying we could go in to see you, Kristi! Staff is usually asking family to leave. What were they trying to tell us?
    God in His goodness and mercy brought you back to us, but it was a long haul to get to the end result.
    I am so grateful to Phoenixville for recognizing that your illness was beyond their expertise. They had you airlifted to HUP whose outstanding team treated you as no other hospital could.
    I will never forget Dave’s face when he realized that the Code blue was for you. And I am very sure HIS parents
    will never their ride to HUP with Dave laying on the floor of their car.
    This turned out to be the beginning of your long journey back to perfect health.

  3. SS on October 6, 2016 at 8:26 pm

    As if Dave’s words weren’t enough to bring tears to my eyes – your mom’s post choked me up even more. You were our focus at home team for a very long time. So glad there was a happily ever after new beginning as we get to enjoy headbands gone wrong and glasses on picture day! And all of the other fun moments of reading your posts as you open your hearts to the world.

  4. Jill on October 7, 2016 at 4:09 am

    Kristi, Dave’s account of this horrible day are difficult to read. I remember Mom’s frantic and tearful call asking me to come to the hospital right away. Shortly after my arrival we were granted permission to see you before you were transported to HUP. When we entered the hospital room, you were so filled with fluid that you were barely recognizable. I wondered how you would ever survive the flight, but the team caring for you confidently and calmly assured us they would do everything possible to transport you safely and keep you alive. The fear in Dave’s eyes and the sheer pain and desperation our Mom and Dad were experiencing at this moment will never be forgotten. There was absolutely nothing I could do to fix any of I except pray.

    Was this really happening to my little sister and our family? This should have been one of the happiest days of my life where I’d spend the day at the hospital with my Sister and her beautiful girls, just as I had with Camryn and Brynlee. Little did I know that this was beginning of a very long and difficult journey.

    I am proud of you for sharing your experiences and hope that others will find comfort and peace in reading your story.

  5. Kellyann Mitchell on October 7, 2016 at 6:10 am

    Wow Dave…I’m sure it must be hard to relive that day. I hope there is healing for you & Kristi in the sharing. So grateful that the end of this story turned out the way it did.

I would love to hear from you. Your comments and shares are appreciated so much!

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.