One of the many perks of being a teacher is that every September we get a fresh start. We have all summer to reflect on how we are going to be better than the year before. Work is the hardest place for me to practice patience, kindness and some of the other virtues that come so much easier on the weekends and the summer. By Monday at lunch time, I have stopped leaning on Him and am trying to tackle my day by myself. Here are some Job Resolutions that can be applied to any job that I think we should all focus on despite how hard it is.
- We should not to complain. Truly thankful people don’t complain and I am truly thankful. So many people don’t have jobs and we should look at our jobs as blessings.
- We should be happy with the position we are given. God places us with the right kids, right duty, right job and already knows His plan for us even at work. We should focus on what we do for a greater purpose.
- We should try not to participate in gossip. It only serves as pollution in the workplace and in 16 years I have never seen a positive outcome.
- We should work with integrity and not care what others do.
- We should pray daily for our coworkers and the leadership of our workplaces.
- We should not allow jealousy of other people’s work responsibilities to play a role in our lives . Again, we are where we are for a reason.
- We should try to open up the lines of communication. If people don’t know what is going on they will make it up anyway.
- We should focus on treating people the way we want to be treated. We are all in the job thing together so working peacefully makes it so much better.
- We should lean on our coworkers. We can’t go about work on our own. We will burn out.
- God wants to work through us so we need to show love even to the most difficult people.
Check in with me by the end of September to make sure I am living these resolutions and pray for me. I will do the same no matter where you are spending your 40 hours a week, your part time job or your stay at home job. We can’t do this alone!